Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grand Haven and Holland 2-16-09

Despite the bitter cold temps, I had a strong urge to get out and shoot yesterday. I'm really glad I did too. My main mission for the day was to continue where I left off with my D40, experimenting with HDR. So I set my new D90 to bracket exposure.

I started at around 4 o clock in the afternoon at Holland State Park. I took lots of pictures of the lighthouse but sadly none of them turned out to my standards. The sky was too dark and cloudy. I need to get out there sometime at sunset and I'm sure the pics would turn out much better. Here's one of the exposure blends that I came up with. This was created from 3 different photos, one overexposed, one underexposed, and one even exposed.

holland lighthouse
(Holland Lighthouse)

When I was done in Holland I jumped on US-31 and headed North to Grand Haven. Usually I am all alone when I am shooting over there but on this night there were several other photographers that showed up. I met a very nice guy named John Dykstra, www.johndykstraphotography.com. I took probably about 100 pictures and I only liked a few of them, which is typical for me. So here they are. I will start with my favorite.

grand haven lighthouse
(Grand Haven Lighthouse)

grand haven lighthouse
(Grand Haven Lighthouse)

grand haven lighthouse
(Grand Haven Lighthouse)

grand haven lighthouse
(Grand Haven Lighthouse)

No comments:

Post a Comment